Thursday, February 16, 2006

1:1 (Part 1 'Can't take the London out of a Londoner) The Background, The Result, The Conclusion (Sunday, October 02, 2005)

So here we go … the explanation to why I left one of the most prosperous, buzzing cities of the world to live in the heated melting pot of all religion, all culture … the epicenter of it all … Israel.

I fulfilled my life ambitions by the age of twenty-four. I had my dream job, a financial reporter for a huge corporation. I had a pension plan, health cover, gym membership, a new car and everything seemed to be in my reach. Yet, the shiny surface of this Western package can be a reality of dull undertones. It was in these shades of grey I lived. The clouds shaded the music, laughter and joy. I was left in a lonely place … my bed, my desk at work and the train ride home.
My reality

Work … an 11-hour a day, at the desk by 5:45am, the constant pressure of accuracy and speed (the core policy of real-time news writing), the daily grunting of verbal abuse amongst colleagues and the lack of sunlight ... glamorous city life! My name had even developed into “f#@king c#Ô" by the night-time editor, and accompanied the beginning of depression and RSI that had spread across my back.

My colleagues

I was experiencing life amongst a bunch of egotistical and self-righteous being (journalists, in other words), whose opinions were clouded by a “middle-class” superiority complex.

Insight into a few of these attitudes

Office banter often brought views and beliefs of these beings to the surface, and often leaving me with feelings of resentment and anger. I can recall one conversation with one young, white and English (questionably 'middle class') colleague concerning the topical matter in British Politics, the practice of fox hunting. This sport, which involves people riding horses, in bowler hats and red jackets and competing to kill foxes, had finally been banned in the United Kingdom. This particular colleague disagreed with this governmental decision and attempted in every measure to justify the sport.

Him: “It has been a tradition for thousands of years imbedded in British culture, why should it change now? It is important to maintain our tradition”

Me: " Hmmm ... forget about the foxes for a sec, slavery and women being denied the right to vote didn’t happen that long ago!"

He abruptly ended the conversation with a grunt.

Morning conversations often included a session of digging over the contents of the daily tabloids (for example, “The Sun”), which involved humouring over how the alien “working class” conduct their lives. “Ohhh, pregnancy of a 16-year-old” … “oh my, drug abuse, how could this be happening!” (N.B. sarcasm on my part ladies and gentlemen).

My so-called colleagues even demonstrated an acceptance for public figures to wear Nazi symbolism at fancy-dress parties (i.e. Prince Harry’s doing in other words). This discussion did seem to fade out with my arrival in the office that day ... I recall one saying "why would such an act offend Jews”. Well, what about the fact that if I had been born 50 years earlier in certain parts in the world, I would more likely be dead than alive. I simply bit my tongue and continued with the day. My passion to defend my beliefs and my identity had worn quite thin over the years. I learnt to shut my mouth and just live with what I believe.

Result

My life didn’t seem to equate with the city life I had quite imagined. It didn't involve sipping on cosmopolitans and lunch dining as envisaged when I finished university. Reality was a cup of tea and a lousy soggy cheese cling-filmed sandwich.

One night, I began thinking (something I seem to be a pro at) “I am in my 20’s, a miserable old cow who can’t seem to find happiness in the life I am living. Hold it … what the hell am I doing with myself?

… I know, I am going to make a stand with my life and determine it's direction. I am buggering off to a country that I have a passion for, a connection to, that serves Kosher kebab 24 hours a day. I am going to live in Israel.

Yes, I do have my ties there. Being Jewish and having an Israeli boyfriend did help prompt my decision, but I was sacrificing all the things every Jewish mother dreams for their child, a career. Well, what could I do, I needed an escape route from this life I somehow fell into.

I wanted to get back in touch with who I am and what I believe. I didn't want have to defend my postion anymore to people that didn't understand the half of it and didn't even care. I wanted to be amongst 'real' life ... living politics and living beliefs. Israel incorporates all of that and more.

Conclusion

So here I am now, four months down the line having moved to Israel … studying the language, immersing into Israeli culture … it is brilliant!!!!!!! I spend my weekends at the beach. I get to spend time sipping on what the hell I want; I get to relax and breathe in the atmosphere and enjoy the life that I have always dreamt of. I meet people from every corner of the world, the greatest people. My pains are finally dissolving, I can drink, dance, relax …. I am finally happy.

No comments: