Wednesday, May 03, 2006

1:13 Flags and Drumsticks


It is 7.59 pm on a Monday night. I am standing on Ben Yehuda Street and waiting. A moment later, sirens whale down the street and throughout the country. These haunting sounds, reminiscent of those in War movies, had a different purpose. People stopped their cars, got out and stood; taxi drivers and their passengers got out of their cars and stood; and people came to their balconies and stood facing the street. All of Israel stood in silence to recognise all those that have died for the state of Israel. The sirens symbolized the start of Yom Hazicaron, the Day of Remembrance.

This instant in Ben Yehuda was totally disparate to a time of remembrance I can remember experiencing in London. Around five years ago, I worked in a large men’s shoe store situated in the bustling area of Regent Street, near Oxford Circus. The remembrance day in mind was commemorating all the fallen soldiers of Second World War. It reached 11 o’clock and there was two minutes silence. I recall standing by the window, observing the world continue to do what it was doing, as the silence passed on. No one stopped, no one stood and no one was remembering. The two minutes could have been any two minutes of the day or the week. There was no sense of recognition, or mourning, and it seemed like nobody even cared.

The unity and nationalism that exists in Israel astounds me. On Ben Yehuda, I felt connected to every person around. We all recognized the importance of what was symbolic to that day. We all felt the significance of that moment.

The next evening saw the arrival of Yom Hatzmut, a day to celebrate the independence of Israel and acknowledging the establishment of the state. The momentum was as emotional, yet on a totally new level. Flags lined the streets, attached to trees, poles, cars and homes. This was reminiscent of the World Cup in London … it is quite amazing how different occasions can stimulate excitement in people, to get their national flag out and celebrate … football, independence of a nation.

Parties resounded in every nook and cranny of Tel-Aviv. Every roof was filled with people dancing to music. The country lit up in celebration. Every passer-by would holler Hag Sameach (‘happy holiday’), and for the first time I felt part of something. I no longer a mere Londoner in Tel Aviv, but for once I felt part of a nation, part of the ground I was standing upon. It was totally uplifting and rejuvenated my understanding of why I was where I was.

The last two days brought an amazing sense of nationality. People of all ages come together to recognise the importance of who they are and how they got there. We appreciate the significance of the past, to celebrate the freedom of the presence, and learn to appreciate what we have gone through to get we are today. This is the unique quality of Israel that makes her so special. She is so emotional, thoughtful, and appreciative and especially knows how to have a good time. I guess that is why I enjoy her company so much.

Today, every garden will be hosting a barbeque and some sort of celebration. The party continues. I am off now to eat some meat, chicken drumstick in one hand, flag in the other … hmm.

















------

Totally irrelevant, but quote of the day, by my dear Adam: “ I am well educated in the swirling mass of morid physcological acute disorders that are parent child relations”.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dear Natalie, your words are very inspiring and uplifting. I feel your emotions trickling out of your ball point pen...well actually your greasy keyboard at work. It was great to be part of that on Yom Haatzmaut. Keep up the grrrrrreat writing.