Tuesday, May 23, 2006

1:15 Red Flip Flops

The last few weeks have involved lots of strolling up and down Rothschild (see: http://natalieshaer.blogspot.com/2006/03/reminiscing-in-rothschild.html ). The end of the boulevard by my apartment was lit up with vivid lilac flowers in the trees. The colour was so luminous, it was if G-d had taken a lilac highlighter, marking out his favourite spots to sunbathe. Whilst trotting down the boulevard, I tip-toed across the flowers resting on the ground, as not to disturb them. This trip led the way to saying goodbye, or should I say lahitarot to my dear friend, Tina, who was returning to New York City. As I ventured down, I realized I was being distracted by the feet that ventured past. Whilst journeying around Tel Aviv be-regel (‘on foot’), my focus is often distracted by Israeli feet. For the large part of the year, most people here are booted in flip-flops, wedges, or the famous (or personally infamous) ‘crocs’. These shoes look like rubber clogs with holes (I guess for ventilation), and come in various bright colours. Men, women and children are seen sporting pink, blue, green and red crocs. In my view, they look like clown shoes, but to be honest, I have never understood a great deal of the Israeli fashion.

On the way down Rothschild, I noticed a scruffy bearded homeless (assuming) man, but he was no ordinary homeless man. He was an Israeli homeless man, dressed in a red shiny jacket and shorts, red flip flops, and held a 80’s-style-brick mobile phone (which may or may not have been working), whilst he lay on a bench under one of the lilac trees . The equality of foot wear in Israel amazes me is. From the richest to the poorest of society, all will have at least one a pair of rubber flip-flops or crocs featuring in their summer wardrobe. ‘They’ say you can only judge a man once you walked in his shoes. I guess that would be slightly confusing in Israel. They all seem to be wearing the same. I presume this is slightly reflective of Israeli society. I indeed do not doubt that there is a definite existence of materialism, but at the same time, most seem equal. There is no such thing as ‘class’ determining the distribution of wealth and taste. If someone wants a pair of red Prada sandals, it won’t be a selected few working overtime to pay for them. And at the same time, most here wouldn’t raise an eyelid to a pair Prada feet strolling past on the Rothschild boulevard catwalk.

On return from Tina’s, I noticed that the previously vacated bench was empty, apart from the mobile phone, red jacket and the flipflops that lay out on the floor. I looked up and saw the homeless chap climbing up the tree. I guess he wanted to take a closer look at the lilac flowers, and maybe at the same time feel closer to G-d.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Natalie!!!
Thanks so much for mentioning me in your blog, and more importantly for bringing up the crucial issue of these ridiculous shoes that Israelis wear everywhere! I'm also glad to see you're taking time out to bond with stylish homeless men. Hope you're having fun in London, miss you very much!