Tuesday, June 19, 2007

2:16 Food Poisoning Messes With My Thoughts

Mr Effy and I were hit with nasty food poisoning last weekend, taking it turns in the toilet throughout the Friday night. At four in the morning we have a house call from a doctor, a stubby Russian woman with spiky orange hair, who jabs lollypop sticks in both our mouths, a thermometer under our armpits, goes to the toilet, returns, writes out a bill of 160 shekels together and leaves. Both of us sit in a state of confusion, having not been given an answer to our nauseating predicament. The night had at least provided us with the bonding experience vomiting together, etc. Yet it was truly frustrating. We had eaten and drunk so many different things just three hours before, so to pinpoint our error was impossible … the tuna, the tortilla chips, the chicken, the wine, the water or was it the chocolate fondue? The following morning my face was a raspberry, blood shot and swollen, what a pretty sight.

I couldn’t help myself but be metaphorical about these past events. So many things have gone on in my past, so many decisions I made, challenges I faced, and somehow I ended up here. I wonder which choice of all the choices had brought me to this point? What was the cause of my dilemmas right now? If I hadn’t taken a bite of this, a nibble of that, then maybe some things would have turned out different. Maybe I wouldn’t be stuck at home right now instead of working in a cafe, because I fear the waiter’s reaction to my grossly blood shot eyes. And, maybe I won’t be stuck at home, with scraps of money in the bank and wondering how I ended up here in the first place.

Yesterday morning my dad dropped me home in a cab after breakfast and headed back to England. For the first occasion ever, he left me crying. This time was really hard, actually the hardest it has ever been, because this time, he gave it to me straight. He left me pondering with questions and dilemmas that need answering. He could read my thoughts, as if they had been laid out by the waitress on the table, amongst the coffee and croissants. But he couldn’t pop a stick in my mouth, take my temperature, and give me an answer to life’s larger questions.

I realized I need to take control of things and actually jump on the tidal wave of life. It’s as if I have been sitting in transit in an airport terminal the last few years. People fly into Tel Aviv, and eventually go back home. Whereas, I am in one place, sat in the terminal, waiting to fly off in a direction, but realizing I am still here, as this is not a terminal, it is actually my home. There is no doctor with a prescription waiting on hand for me. I realized there isn’t anyone to rely on in transit, except my one constant, who will hopefully work out my remedy.

5 comments:

Kick ur boss said...

A cassual look around the blogs, has brought me to your blog, and I've read what was your health situation last night.

I hope you feel better soon. Be careful about what do you eat!!

Specially, I get a little impressed about what do you say about your father, how easy do you do to open your feelings and write them at the blog.

I don't know what are you really doing at Tel Aviv, so far of your home and your family. But I think that there are a lot of places where everyone can do anything. But you have only one father. And someday he won't be there, and maybe, you will regret about to have lost a great number of oportunities of being with him.

This is my thought. From a boy that doesn't know nothing about you, and who has nothing to win or to lose telling you that.

but....now....be care about all you eat and drink for a few days!!

Greeting for the wine and jam land: Spain.

P.D.:Sorry about my bad, bad english. I only hope you arrive to understand the content of my words. XD.

Alex.

channahboo said...

I dream that my one in'constant' can finally work the shit out...! ;)

Don't worry babes... I'm just a row away in the terminal with a pack of cards and a bottle of wine any time! mwa! xxx

Ahuva said...

Great post. I wish I had some answers for you.

cornflake girl said...

And what can I add? You have to work it out for yourself. I am also desperately wanting to jump on the tidalwave of life. The only advice I can give is just jump - take the plunge - and the rest will follow.

weenie said...

Sorry to hear about your food poisoning - nasty! The last time I suffered was when I was working in Brussels a couple of years ago - I knew I had a plate of dodgy prawns but I can't resist seafood! Nearly passed out in the toilets after a bad vomiting session - my colleagues were upstairs too busy getting drunk to notice I'd gone AWOL for an hour!