Thursday, February 16, 2006

1:4 Lesson on Life (Monday, November 21, 2005)

“In every work of genius, we recognise our own rejected thoughts and they come back to us as alienated majesty.” Emerson

A few weeks ago I attended a “shior” (‘lesson’) in Jerusalem given by Professor Zornberg of Cambridge University. Amongst the abundance of information and historical commentary given on Jewish philosophy, I was presented with the above quote. The shior was impressive and inspirational, giving insight into human potential and instinct through the analyzing of the lives of biblical figures. This quote, or interpretation of human behaviour, has haunted me since its recital, echoing insecurities that have often possessed my mind.

Explanation

Many, during life, encounter thoughts of potential that they truly believe can be achieved, avenues they wish to venture, which can take them to new places. These thoughts can be ideas, beliefs, simple dreams or day dreaming ‘gone crazy’. In most cased, these thoughts are repressed, ignored and eventually forgotten. In the case of the lecture, it was Abraham who actually chose to overlook the possibility for repression. He actively acknowledged and ‘lived out’ all thoughts and epiphanies of the existence of God, conclusively leading him to Judaism.

There have been countless times I have repressed motives and ideas, which could have surely taken me towards alternate directions in life. For instance, if I had taken piano lessons more seriously, surely it would have been my destiny to perform in front of thousands. Or, I am certain my passion for justice could have led to my posting of leader for the British Government, if I had even bothered to participate in the debate team at school. The ‘would haves’ and ‘could haves’ tend to be stunted by dismissiveness, laziness and comfort for the norm and simplicity. Sometimes, life is better lived when it is more complicated, just to ensure that true happiness is an optional pursuit.

At least I can say my passion to live in Israel is being ‘lived-out’ rather than simply remaining a dream. Furthermore, writing these accounts reflect my passion for writing finally being acted out. I just hope I can continue to live life by this rule. I wish to no longer add to my list of regrets and be left with the thought that my potential dreams are the “alienated majesty” of others’ fulfillments, left with the thought that “I knew I could have done that”.

No comments: