Tuesday, March 28, 2006

1:10 Political Consciousness Set Alight

Today, I participated in a political voting system for first the time in my life. This may be slightly irresponsible for a 25-year old to have not yet made a political stand, however minuscule an impact voting may have. Political decision-making has, up until now, never seemed a relevant part to my role of citizenship. British politics never bothered me, however relevant to my income and taxation levels. I never cared for what toffee-nosed elitists would have to say in Parliament, as I distant from such articulation. Political currents relating to the nature of being part of an Israeli society that I am now surrounded by, have awakened my conscience. Issues discussed on the news and in the K’nesset (Israeli government) are part of a citizenship identity to which I hold strong ties, being a Jew within a world dominated by non-Jews. When walking into the school near to my apartment to post my vote, a tingle of excitement overcame my emotions with the thought that I was playing a part of a history of struggle and Jewish living, however minuscule this impact would be. These politics play a part in shaping Jewish identity and residency within the world, which is something I actually give a damn about.

Living Politics

I can remember the month of my arrival to Israel being filled with political dynamics. An atmosphere of tension existed as events leading towards the disengagement of Jewish communities in the Gaza strip drew closer. Streets were filled with strips over orange and blue, as people and cars were tied with coloured ribbons representing their stand. Orange ribbons represented opposition to the disengagment and blue for support of the disengagement. The land was being evacuated for Palestinian control. Israeli television buzzed with excitement over its coverage of the events across the country. Boys and girls lined the traffic lights, handing ribbons and fliers. Every conversation resulted in a discussion of whether I supported the disengagement or not. I felt overwhelmed by this passion and awareness of national issues. This political current was real as it played a part in all Israeli lives. During the actual disengagement, I joined Effy’s family in front of the television, to witness the pain of the Jewish settlers, as they were evacuated taken from their homes. The (Israeli) coverage represented conflicting emotions of anger and unity. Grown men crying in pain from the struggle to leave their homes, mothers screamed in the face of Israeli soldiers and displayed anger of betrayal, as they held their children up in the soldiers' faces. The news reported the unity of a rabbi and a sergeant who were together as youths in the army, and now hugged in unity and pity. The sergeant walked the Rabbi out of his home in Gaza. For the first time, Jews came face to face with each other, conflicted by their differing needs, in front of the world who sat glaring. Israelis, those on the television and those watching it, had eyes filled with tears. I sat in disbelief from the feelings that overcame me and those around. My political conscience never felt more alive and government activity never had felt more relevant to living. These are the issues that we voted over today, conflicting stands over matters of safety, territory and religion.

Politics Laid Out on the Table

Identity and politics are regular features of discussions amongst Jews of all nationalities. It is something that I have always lived amongst, whether during Shabbat dinner with my family, or over shwarma in the local kosher restaurant with friends in London. Israeli and Jewish matters would be a topic of debate, something that didn’t seem to exist amongst my other (non-Jewish) friends. Tony Blair and the British government would rarely, or rather never pay a visit to conversations over a pint in the pub.

At work, a discussion concerning the recent film ‘Munich’ arose … fireworks were ignited. Politics and identity became the centre of the debate, ready on the table for thrashing. Munich is an American production ‘inspired by historical accounts’ of the kidnapping and murdering of 11 Israeli athletes and officials during the Munich Olympics in 1972. The movie portrays the events following the kidnap, with the 'events' surrounding a group of Israeli Mossad agents ( Mossad being the Israeli secret service) who are sent to assassinate those responsible for the kidnapping and eventual deaths of the athletes. Despite the fact the movie is a depiction of a specific historical account, its ‘representation’ is one of inaccuracy and misrepresentation. The film is based on a single account of the Munich games, hence the title, yet Hollywood, or more precisely Speilberg, decides to retell the story as such that it is more appetizing to the viewer, and consequently becomes a distorted account. Will the general public across the world be able to distinguish between the movie simply as a Hollywood blockbuster or as a history lesson?

Effy and I decided to see what the drama and hype in Israeli media surrounding the movie was all about, and satisfied our curiosity with a visit to the cinema. We left feeling drained, having gone through the emotional rollercoaster of this national tragedy, having identified with the raised issues relating to Jewish identity and Israeli-Arab political tensions. Indeed, the acting was brilliant, the ‘plot’ was superb; yet due to the fact I was so moved, or more accurately, insulted by its portrayal, meant I became tangled up with what I was absorbing. I couldn’t decipher what the film was trying to achieve.

Do movie producers not have a responsibility to the viewer? And if it is to portray the beliefs of other religions, why should that representation fall into the hands of Hollywood narratives. I was further upset by the blurred boundaries between the identity the Mossad agents were meant to be representing … ‘Israeli’ or ‘Jewish’. The director himself couldn’t seem to distinguish this in the movie, despite being Jewish himself. I myself am a Jew, something specific that defines my character and beliefs. Living in Israel and, therefore, being 'Israeli' is something totally different, it represents a whole new range of views and beliefs.

The discussion at work continued with a comment from a colleague who claimed that it annoys her when every time Jews are not represented in a favourable light (despite the fact she is'nt Jewish), we (Jews) bite back with the claim that it is ‘anti-Semitic’.

… Is this really wrong? Across Western society, political correctness has suffocated communication, with the drive to clamp down on racism on the premise of colour. Why can’t such political correctness extend to the Jewish race? As with many other minority communities, Jewish people have experienced racism throughout all generations, yet some still claim that we 'whine' about our misrepresentation … And another thought, should minorities be subjected to the impressionism of others? Should their beliefs be spelt out by those of other religions in the entertainment sphere? Haven' t there been enough mishaps in history that have allowed for misrepresentation? These questions ran marathons through my mind during the viewing of Munich.

With regards to the initial comment, I do not believe this is totally fair in light of recent public comments. In particular, Jewish communities across the world sat in silence to hear an Iranian leader openly state that he would like to see Israel ‘wiped off the face of the planet’ ... 'whining' from them did not exactly resound throughout the media.

I could go on about my qualms about the movie, but I feel this territory has had plentiful coverage by Jewish commentators and critics. My questions may seem harsh and I don’t mean to offend, but stating one's opinion is part of the political process, debate. This is something that needs to be fostered by the next generation, the ability to decipher what media and politicians are trying to portray, understand the core to their messages, and to play a part in deciding who will actually voice these messages.

N.B. If people do decide to comment on my blog, please refrain from rude name-calling, as did the previous comments that I have now deleted. And, if people would like to debate with me, at least you can leave your name so I can respond to the rude name-calling.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Ginrod said...

Great Skillz Natgirl. I'm impressed. You got skillz..SKILLZ