Sunday, March 19, 2006

1:9 Human Nature and Jelly Beans

One life observation is that human beings treat each other like jelly beans. Jelly beans come in an assortment of flavours and colours inside a jar. We will always dig our fingers in to pick out our favourite flavours, bubblegum, tropical fruit and strawberry beans; flavours we have previously tasted and know will provide us with satisfaction.

In Israel, I noticed how similar this behaviour is in humans. However hard politics and anthropological currents set in to scatter people around the world; we all seem to find our way back to a comfort zone, locating and residing in places amongst those of the same colour and flavourings. The dynamics of the population here seems to take a similar accord. In particular, I observed how Anglo-Jews flock together, how Ethiopian Jews build communities with each other, and how the French Jews and Russian immigrants come to build homes with other French or Russians.

This observation may be a slight generalisation … redesigning ‘facts’ to establish a point … many ‘new’ Israelis come here to set up a life independent of their origins, especially in central Tel Aviv where all Jewish origins blend into a colourful mix. For instance, Effy and I come from polar cultures, yet we are united on the basis of common ground, our love and respect for each other. Our similarities and differences are a constant battlefield, antagonism between culture and identity as a Jew. Yet I do hope the reasoning behind our unity ultimately triumphs.

My environment, although heavily dominated by an intense ‘Israeli’ culture, additionally coincides with my Jelly bean culture. Take note, ‘Israeli’ culture is, arguably, in itself non-existent, but rather a culmination of histories of Jews, from all corners of the world, who come to reside in Israel. This includes, Sephardic, Ashkenazi, Mizrachi and Western cultures. I came to Israel to be stimulated by people of a foreign language and culture, yet have recently found myself in the company of the same ‘types’ that I grew up amongst and left behind. These types speak English with the ‘north London Jewish’ accent and have come to Israel, planting themselves in an environment that mirrors their derivation. They have picked out all the other ‘north London Jewish’ types in this multi-cultural jelly bean pot, choosing to establish their life with others of the same definition. I have slowly succumbed to this comfort zone and feel irritated. The same issues, the same bickering that was a pinnacle to my previous frustration, have come to haunt.

This brings me to my next point; why do we bother getting on a plane to the holy land in the Middle-East just to recreate what we came from? What is our reasoning and/or justification for making Aliyah? Jerusalem and northern areas of Tel Aviv are dominated by communities of English and American Jews. They all talk the same language as they did back home; they eat all the same food that they have grown up eating and they all participate in the same ‘community’ activities that would have taken place back in their local gatherings in Anglo-land. Surely being Jewish is something that is in our souls, wherever we are based. So, if we (Jews) are to flock to Israel, shouldn’t we all be rejoicing in unity with existing communities together on the basis that we are all Jewish, and here to create the united nation that we have been fighting for, for thousands of years? It is incredible to be walking on Jewish soil, to have a home amongst other Jewish homes and to be in the land we read constantly about in synagogue every Shabbat.

“Do you think many of these people would be making Aliyah if Israel was based in Iceland,” a friend once asked. This may sound blunt, or even quite absurd, but I do wonder. Although, of course Zionism has a place in the hearts of all that make Aliyah. The fact that one chooses to reside in a place subject to overt hate and disacknowledgment is an act in itself to strengthen the legitimisation for Israel’s existence as a Jewish state. We can’t simply sit on our couches viewing Israel via the television set on the news and claim we support Israel. Using our feet to make a global stand is fundamental. And, the Aliyah movement is preferable even if segregation continues to exist, rather than having a lack of movement, with Jews remaining ‘bechuz la-Aretz’ (outside Israel) unpicked from the jelly bean jar.

Back to jelly beans, Mr Effy is definitely caramel flavour and I would say mine is orange blossom, if there was ever an orange blossom jelly bean.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Natalie! It's so good to hear your voice again. I'm in London (thanks for your comment on my story, by the way)... and I'm feeling very far from our life in Tel Aviv, but reading your words brings me back again. I agree with what you say about why do we all seek our own comfort zone instead of integrating more amongst those of different 'colours' who live all around us in Israel. I think that to integrate, maybe, we need first a secure point from which to work, or at least that's what I found the last few months in Israel. I felt so bewildered and at sea, unleashed from my usual safe moorings, that the familiarity of meeting you and the other 'Anglos' helped me find some of the stability I needed to start building a new life. But I do think it's a danger when we don't even try to move out of the comfort zone. More later... we'll discuss when I come back. Miss you. Lots of love, Leila PS I love your writing - keep going.

The Ginrod said...

Great writing Natgirl! Is Effy Caramel cuz' he BROWN?